Loading ...

IoT and Change | IOA Knowledge Base Community

• paulrenaud

I am currently working on Positive Train Control, one of the largest IoT undertakings in North America right now.  I noticed that you have created an IoT blueprint and am curious what it covers with respect to not just data management in Large Scale IoT, but also change management of controlling large-scale distributed network IoTs.

• Snarkier
      Answered

Hello Paul, 

Thanks for the question, IoT does create considerable management challenges for massive data influx, incoming multiple protocols, and the need to manage change on a regular basis. This IoT blueprint covers several of these topics across the 5 design patterns. I will provide some context below

The IoT blueprint and supporting design patterns address the main challenges of data gravity, security, cross-cloud application integration and exponential data growth management. All of that needs to be accompanied by an approach to distributed management that enables device placement to remain economically feasible,

Looking at the IoT Blueprint ….

• Design Pattern #1 – Controlling data Deluge at the Edge- this pattern addresses how to manage the influx of diversely formatted, unqualified data that arrives in unpredictable waves, focusing on how placing data and compute at a communication control point hub nearer the devices enables you to scrub and normalize the deluge before it is sent for further processing. This will reduce the risk profile of unfiltered data and optimize the data flow to cloud based applications that analyze the IOT data.
      • This pattern emphasizes the fact that the deployed devices in the field must be as simple as possible, which mean that security and management must be addressed at this control point.
    • Design pattern #2- Enforce IoT security- once the hub is established with foundational capabilities, the emphasis must shift to compressive security management within that hub. A framework of software driven management capabilities that are controlled by policies is essential to respond to business and technology changes.
    • Design Pattern #4 scale exponential growth -Strategically add capacity, improving “systems of insight” performance globally via distributed scaling of data and workloads through an interconnected mesh of digital edge nodes, adding services as needed. This is critical to manage fluctuations of demand and potential congestion across a distributed network where local insights must be propagated globally to ascertain larger scale behavior patterns. These issues are big drivers of change
    • Design Pattern #5 Monetize IOT data services-  building new business models by composing discoverable services, creating new packaged offerings and continually adapting to changing needs, regulations, technologies and emerging partners and markets.
    I have practiced pattern based design for over 20 years and am passionately curious about how technology affects our lives.
  • tpeluso

Hi  paulrenaud ,

I've only done high level research on 'Positive Train Control' -- what is your role on the project and do you have any suggested reading for those who may be interested?  Just curious. 

Terri

Terri Peluso IOA Knowledge Base & Community Manager
  • paulrenaud

The rail industry is currently spending over $14 B on Positive Train Control.  I am directing CN's program including all hardware and software development and installation - approx 1,500 people.  To give you a sense of scale, the CMDB at CN has over 60,000 entries, so you can imagine that change management is very important.

You can find info about PTC on the Federal Rail Administration website.

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)